Cucalorus Experience and Reflection

“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to."
"I don't much care where –"
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go.”
Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

As expected, things didn’t go as totally expected. Which I totally fine. I know that a certain level a planning is needed, but I a certain amount of spontaneity and chance encounters goes a long way.

                My initial plan was to see Mr. Roosevelt for my first film of the festival, which I did with some other classmates. Walking into CFCC Union Station I thought that I was early for the film but there was already a screening going on. Quietly taking a seat in the corner of the theater I sat through the rest of what turned out to be a really great (though the name escapes me) short. A quick Q&A followed the short and I offered a question or two of my own. It was really great, as always, to get to chat with the filmmakers in a setting with such a small, intimate crowd. I find that it’s not so much the questions asked or even the answers to those question, necessarily, but rather conversations that arise from such dialogue. I feel as though one can really get a sense of a filmmaker by the way that he/she speaks, as much as what he/she says.

                Anyhow, Mr. Roosevelt began shortly after the Q&A for the previous short. Twas a lovely, “quirky” (there’s a joke in here for those who’ve seen Wells’s film) film with lots of indie tropes, but also really, really funny. Again, I feel like the small theater setting fosters a more intimate space, where the audience laughter in a way feels more communal. Also there were a lots of classmates and familiar faces in the auditorium!

                Second screening for Thursday was the mystery triptych Ordinary Days, talk about a wonderful sound design! Stan and Matt R. joined me for this one, and- at that point in time, I hadn’t seen a movie that good in a while, so Kudos to directors Jordan Canning Renuka Jeyapalan and Kris Booth for their collective work!

                I’m not sure how much I should reveal of the coming and goings at Jengo’s…… But I did get a chance to see Jake Hart’s new film for a second time. A followed up with our own personal Q&A, nurtured by many a libation.

                I’m not sure if I could pinpoint a particular favorite moment. Perhaps the special screening of Bodied might suit this response. Through the drama and comedy of rap battles the film was all about social consciousness, freedom of expression and what it means to be “politically correct” in this day and age; and I think this might have been my most fruitful festival experience, though again it’s hard to choose. Also, the Q&A with director Joseph Khan afterward was beyond engaging and insightful, and I realized just how important these smaller festivals are, not only in nurturing a passionate, localized film community, but also in circulating one’s film to various audiences, and hopefully garnering distribution through these exhibitions.
               
                The level of comradery fostered by the festival was perhaps the most surprising aspect for me. And had I been a filmmaker going in, I would have definitely capitalized on this chance meet other filmmakers and share in appreciation of one another’s work.


                Twas a crazy experience all in all! I left with a wealth of experiences, fun memories, and a surprisingly sticky amount of Campari on my shoes. Still want to make it to more screenings than the six I did this year. Knowing all I’ve learned from this past weekend, I can’t wait to make next year and even better experience! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Class Reflection

Filmmaker Presentations Sep 28th, 2017