Final Class Reflection

                It feels almost like it’s over before it truly began. Then again, looking back, we’ve all been through so much together. What a fun-filled, peculiar journey it’s been! It’s been a pleasure working with so many of you and getting to know you more throughout this fall!

                Sifting through the memories seems a bit like a Jonas Mekas reel flittering through a projector. Little fragments and recollections flash by, as memory attempts to conjure little highlights of the total experience.

                The course wasn’t easy by any means, i.e. deadlines, multiple interweaving projects, bringing conceptual ideas to life; however, this class thought me more than I could’ve hoped for. Not only did I get to know all of you more and more as time went on, but I feel as though we each have a better understanding of one another, as far as how we each bring our inner sensibilities to life through our work. Recalling the Self-Portraits (and the Video Instillations, especially), you can really see how these projects allow us the unearth the inner-workings of how we think and feel. Looking at Jake’s work I find this calm reprieve and connection with coastal nature; whereas Gabby’s queer fascinations with cats, spaghetti (and yes all things caustically phallic) draw us into the spiker recesses of one’s mind, albeit great!

                More than anything, I’ve learned that compromise, camaraderie, and attention to the sensibilities of others are key aspects of nurturing any successful crew. This course has been unique, in that we’ve had a chance to work with different people, in different permutations; rather than sticking with a single group, as one would in 302 Doc or Narrative. I feel as though this format of multiple group projects with new members has allowed us, again, to grow stronger and closer as a class. Last Sunday at Jengo’s speaks that that most. One final hoorah before we say farewell on Friday.
                Though this course was not without stress and I surely had my moments when I should have contributed more, I’ve taken away so from much this whole experience. I think fondly of our experience and will cherish our time together.

                Perhaps most of all, looking back, I realized that “as I was moving ahead occasionally I saw brief glimpses of beauty.” And yes I’ll totally embrace that coy sentimentality!

                                           

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cucalorus Experience and Reflection

Filmmaker Presentations Sep 28th, 2017